When in doubt, hire out. It’s natural to want to stay at home as your grow older. These guidelines explore home care services to help seniors maintain independence while remaining safe at home.
Here are some considerations:
- Location. Where are you located? How is transportation in the area? Do you have plenty of loved ones around to provide support?
- Home Maintenance. Does your home meet your accessibility needs? Are you able to keep up with the maintenance – on your own, with the help of family and friends or hired out?
- Medical Needs. If you have a chronic illness, are you able to get your medical needs met?
- Finances. Do your current finances or financial options support you staying in your home?
If you decide to stay in your home, here are some suggestions for finding the right home care services:
- Your Network. Reach out to family, friends, your church or other community you may belong to for suggestions.
- Agencies. Look at agencies for aging, eldercare or senior centers for options available.
And here are some home care options to consider:
Your Home. You may want to consider bringing in someone to help you with the maintenance of yourself, your household and your home itself. This will ensure everything is taken care of without you having to do it all. If your home needs modifications, consider hiring it out.
- Transportation. Check into public transportation options as well as other services that may be available. Perhaps a family or friend is willing to commit to assisting you in this area.
- Healthcare. Some health needs can be taken care of by a trained professions in your home. Check with your insurance company or your county for options that may be available to you.
- Day Programs. These provide activities during the day which can provide the opportunity to socialize and engage in life as well as giving caregivers a break, if needed.
Tips for hiring the perfect provider:
- Interview several individuals before making your final decision.
- Be specific about your needs and what will be expected of this person.
- Check references.
- Do background checks.
- If it doesn’t feel right, make another choice.
Remember, your choice is just that…it’s your choice but you don’t have to do it alone. Ask for the support you need to make a decision that is best for you and look at the big picture to make sure it’s the best one for you in the long term.